Build Your Own Covered Deck
An outdoor covered deck is a great addition to the home. It will create more space for you to use in your house and yard, and it will enable you to entertain outside more easily.
- To build the timber deck design you will either need to install a concrete base or use sturdy legs that are concreted into the ground. From this base, you can then build a frame.
- The decking should be constructed of single planks ideally, but you can use shorter planks and have them meet so that they can both be attached to a supporting beam at each end.
- The legs for the roof will need to be attached to the decking with metal anchors. Alternatively you could use long enough posts for the legs of the decking to support the roof too.
- Building the rafters will require the help of a number of people so that they can be properly supported whilst they are attached.
- To make the cover you are best to start with a ply or chipboard base. On top of this you can then install a range of materials from tarpaper to tiles in order to waterproof the roofing.