How to Build a Trellis, Arbour, or Pergola
Trellises, arbours and pergolas can add style to your home and give you a greater range of useful space. They’re great for providing shelter from the sun, or to screen your garden party from the eyes of curious neighbours in the nearby apartment block.
- Remember to check council planning permission regulations in your area before you begin buying materials.
- Find at least one friend to help you with the construction of the project. You will need help with raising and supporting the different elements of the structure.
- Attach the frame legs to the concrete base using metal anchors. Be sure to check each leg is level with a spirit level.
- Position a beam between two posts and attach. Repeat with the opposite beams and then attach the final two beams to the existing structure slightly inset from the legs.
- Attach equally spaced beams along the line between the two highest beams. This will provide you with a flat covered area that is perfect for growing plants in order to create shade.